Is There a Difference Between Professional Liability and Errors and Omissions Insurance?

What you need to know about this type of liability insurance binder

As a business owner, you may have heard your insurance agent talk about professional liability and/or errors and omissions insurance.  However, you may be unfamiliar with what these policies are and what they cover.  Here’s what business owners need to know.

  • The Name Depends on Your Industry

First, it’s important to understand that professional liability and errors and omissions insurance are the same types of coverage.  This coverage can also be referred to as malpractice insurance.  The names can be used interchangeably depending on the industry that your business works in.  For instance, architects, accountants, and consultants usually use the term professional liability insurance.  Real estate and IT professionals tend to call it errors and omissions insurance.  Those in the medical and legal sectors refer to the coverage as malpractice insurance.

  • The Coverage is the Same

Regardless of what your industry call is, professional liability insurance offers coverage for businesses who are accused of making costly mistakes by their clients.  For instance, a business would access their professional liability insurance if a client holds it liable for breach of contract, work oversight or mistakes, providing substandard or incomplete work, missed deadlines, and so on.  Even if there is nothing wrong with the quality of your work, a dissatisfied client could still sue your business for a perceived issue.  Fortunately, your professional insurance would handle the costs of the claim, including legal fees, court costs, and settlement expenses.

This is what you need to know about professional liability, also know an errors and omissions insurance.  Do you have additional questions about your commercial coverage needs?  If so, then contact the experts at VGW Walker Insurance in Texas.  We are ready to get you the coverage that you need today.